Tuesday, March 25, 2014

From the Other Side

Yesterday was kind of rough. Elise was sick and it made for a long and miserable day for her, and the family by extension. Her fever kept trying to creep up into the scary zone over 104 and it was a near constant battle to keep that in check. Mostly she just wanted to be in my arms, whispering (she whispers when ill and it is heartrendingly cute), "Need Mama, nuggle (snuggle)." She would fold up into a quite ball on my chest and sweat and shiver and rapidly breathe.

I called the doctor two minutes after they opened yesterday morning and asked for an appointment. The woman on the other end of the line was sympathetic to a point. She was all, "Poor baby!" and "Let's get her in quick." Then she told me that Elise's appointment was at 2:20. I had been hoping for immediately. When I asked the receptionist, "2:20? Really??" She lost her empathy and said, rather curtly, "Yes. Really." Yeeouch! Eric told me I got served. I didn't let it bother me as I know Elise wasn't in mortal peril or anything, she was just uncomfortable. So we made it through the morning.

Around lunch time Elise just grabbed her ears and laid her head on the table. She did manage to whisper a request for chocolate chips. That's my girl. Eric came home to stay with Cordelia while I took Elise in for her visit. Cordelia could have come along, but I sure appreciate that Eric stayed with her. For one reason, Cordelia would have been trying to sing the soundtrack to Frozen to the doctor---she does that. Also, she just needed a little attention, a sick baby kind of steals the spotlight from lively four year olds.

Sick baby

When we made it to the doctor Elise was miserable. Her temp was hovering around 104 and she remembered being at the doctor for her last visit (shots) and was not happy at all. The doctor took just a couple of minutes to diagnose what we already knew, ear infection. He also threw in a bonus throat infection. He decided not to swab as she needed antibiotics anyway.

So, she got her medication and somewhere around midnight last night things began to improve. Her fever disappeared. Her slumber was quiet and restful, and by extension so was mine. Today she is back in action, as I am typing this she is running around like crazy. Kids know how to do the rebound business. I could use another day of recovery, but I will settle for chasing around a happy and healthy baby.

6 comments:

Marie Roxanne said...

Good news! Hope you get some sleep tonight to recover.

affectioknit said...

...so glad she's feeling better...

Sarah Purdy said...

So happy she's happy again.

Anne Jezek said...

So glad she is feeling better! We love you guys!

Mom said...

I am so glad she is doing better. I hate when one of those baby beauties is miserable.

elizabeth said...

sometimes an antibiotic is just the thing. also - mama nuggles - those are pretty awesome, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...