Thursday, April 3, 2014

Project: Earth Friendly Seedlings

seedlings

I started my first round of seedlings a few weeks ago. I planted them in my little plastic seedling tray that I have used and re-used many times. Once the seeds started to grow it was clear that the little hands helping me plant had been very generous with their seeds and that a little thinning was due. If you aren't into seedling lingo, thinning is the simple process of removing a few plants in order to let the healthiest grow. Otherwise they compete for nutrients and choke each other, then all of them die.

I couldn't buy another tray and I hate to just throw away little plants that are growing. I am such a weirdo that I can't even throw out plants. I know as a vegan I am like a major plant killer, but I really like to let those little babies reach their full potential. Yeah, it's OK to sigh in annoyance at that, I annoy my own self with that business.I decided to do some transplanting instead of tossing seedlings into the trash like some kind of monster. I created a little DIY seedling tray that is a great way to recycle with things you probably already have laying around the house. Also, it is a super kid friendly project as long as you are cool with a little mess.

seedlings

You will need:
leftover toilet paper rolls I also used a few old soy yogurt cups that I had cleaned
a large plastic container, or several smaller ones. I used a container that had originally housed some store bought lettuce.
seeds or seedlings
soil

1. Cut your toilet paper rolls in half and then set them upright ( I also included some yogurt cups) into my salad tray.
2. Fill all of them with soil. Little hands love this messy job.
3. Transplant seedlings or just plant some seeds.
4. Water them and put them into a sunny room, but if you are planting seeds keep them in a dimly lit room until they sprout.

seedlings

Now if only it would stop snowing...

3 comments:

Marie Roxanne said...

Thanks for the idea of using plastic trays and toilet paper. Too bad I don't have a backyard for which to plant my seedlings.
But I have a balcony, windowsills and pots...

Sarah Purdy said...

Cool idea!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post.

Also visit my web-site - world news events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...